Rich Daugherty is an employment law attorney with extensive experience serving clients throughout the State of North Carolina. Rich has represented individuals in a wide spectrum of employment disputes including wrongful termination, sexual harassment, retaliation, discrimination, severance negotiations, workplace assaults and FMLA violations since 2003. He has successfully litigated against Fortune 500 and other large corporations in federal and state cases in North Carolina with results favorable to his clients. He also consults with businesses to ensure fair and nondiscriminatory workplaces.
Rich considers it a privilege to represent conscientious hard working employees. He believes that no person or corporation is above the law and he is committed to seeing that our court system protects and advances the fundamental rights of employees, for the good of our community and state. At the heart of Rich’s success is the open communication he has with his clients. Rich is dedicated to seeing that his clients receive a just result.
Rich is a native of Arlington, Virginia. Prior to practicing law, he served in management roles in the field of industrial and labor relations for large corporations. This experience has given him a unique insight into how corporations work and how employees should be treated. He earned a bachelors degree in business economics from the University of Richmond and an MBA from Virginia Commonwealth University. He also holds a law degree and an MSW from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. During law school, he held clerkships in the Civil Rights Division of the U.S. Department of Justice and clerked for Judge Bartnoff on the Superior Court of Washington, D.C. Prior to practicing law, Rich served in management roles in the field of industrial and labor relations for large corporations such as Mobil, Monsanto, Philip Morris and Mitsubishi.
Rich lives in Chapel Hill. He is married and has 3 grown children. He is actively involved in his community, serving in a variety of roles. In his spare time, he enjoys the outdoors, fly-fishing and travel.
- JD, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Employment & Labor Law Moot Appellate Team
- Managing Editor of Banking & Finance Law Journal
- MSW, Mental Health, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- MBA, Industrial Relations, Virginia Commonwealth University
- BSBA, Economics, University of Richmond, Cum Laude
Richard Daugherty, Attorney at Law
- Primarily engaged in the practice of employment law since 2003.
- U.S. Dept. of Justice, Civil Rights Division, Special Litigation Section, Washington, D.C.
- U.S. Dept. of Justice, Civil Rights Division, Disability Rights Section, Washington, D.C.
- Judge Judith Bartnoff, Superior Court of Washington, D.C.
- Glenn, Mills & Fisher, Durham, N.C.
Human Resources/Labor Management
- Management positions in industrial and labor relations, legal compliance, compensation/benefits, safety/health and organizational development. Prior employers included Mobil, Monsanto, Mitsubishi, Exide Electronics and Duke Medical Center.
ACCREDITATIONS & ASSOCIATIONS
- Licensed North Carolina Attorney
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Orange County Bar Association
- North Carolina Advocates for Justice
- Admitted to Practice Before the United States Federal District Court