Many employees have the right to work free from discrimination based on age. This applies to all aspects of employment such as compensation, promotions, work conditions, and terminations.
Examples of Discrimination
- Pressuring an older employee to retire
- Firing an older employee to keep a younger lower paid employee
- Laying off a disproportionate number of older employees
- Not hiring an older individual to seek a significantly younger candidate
- Failing to promote an employee due to age
- Assigning older employees to less-desirable work
- Automatically offering training opportunities to significantly younger employees
- Assigning challenging work projects to younger employees
- Undermining managerial authority or span of control
- Failing to issue pay raises, bonuses, or promotions to older employees
Many employers are also prohibited from harassing employees due to age. Harassment is unwelcome treatment that is frequent or severe enough to alter work conditions and create a demeaning atmosphere.
Examples of Harassment
- Isolation, exclusion, or work interference
- Undermining authority or span of control
- Slurs or name-calling
- Sharing derogatory or inappropriate images
- Inappropriate jokes or gestures
- Other mistreatment
Many employers are further prohibited from penalizing employees for complaining about or opposing discrimination against themselves or others. For more information, see Retaliation page.
Protect your Rights
The law sets firm deadlines for reporting discrimination, harassment, and retaliation. For more information, see article on Age Discrimination.
If you’ve been subjected to discrimination, contact Rich Daugherty. Whether your employment has been wrongfully terminated, you’re in fear of losing your job unlawfully, or you’re stuck in an untenable situation, contact Rich.
Rich offers a one-on-one relationship with his clients. He will stand by your side every step of the way to resolve your case fairly.
Rich represents clients from across North Carolina, including Raleigh, Durham, Wilmington, Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Charlotte, and more. He is available to meet with prospective clients outside of Chapel Hill when circumstances permit. Evening appointments are also available.