Rich Daugherty is an employment law attorney with extensive experience serving clients throughout the State of North Carolina. Since 2003, Rich has represented individuals in a wide range of employment disputes including severance negotiations, executive exit negotiations, wrongful termination, sexual harassment and assault, discrimination, retaliation, and FMLA violations.
He has successfully litigated against Fortune 500 and other large corporations in federal and state cases in North Carolina with results favorable to his clients. Rich also negotiates confidential severance agreements for his clients. Additionally, he provides consulting services for businesses interested in offering a fair and nondiscriminatory workplace for employees.
Rich earned a bachelor’s degree in business economics from the University of Richmond and an MBA from Virginia Commonwealth University. He holds a JD and an MSW from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. During law school, he held clerkships in the Civil Rights Division of the U.S. Department of Justice, and clerked for Judge Bartnoff on the Superior Court of Washington, D.C.
Prior to practicing law, Rich served in management roles in the field of industrial and labor relations for large corporations such as Mobil, Monsanto, Philip Morris, and Mitsubishi. This experience has given him a unique insight into how corporations work and how employees should be treated.
Rich considers it a privilege to represent conscientious, hard-working employees. He believes that no person or corporation is above the law and he is committed to fighting for the rights of employees. At the heart of his success is the open communication he has with his clients.
- JD, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Employment & Labor Law Moot Appellate Team
- Managing Editor of Banking & Finance Law Journal
- MSW, Mental Health, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- MBA, Industrial Relations, Virginia Commonwealth University
- BSBA, Economics, University of Richmond, Cum Laude
Richard Daugherty, Attorney at Law
- Primarily engaged in the practice of employment law since 2003.
- U.S. Dept. of Justice, Civil Rights Division, Special Litigation Section, Washington, D.C.
- U.S. Dept. of Justice, Civil Rights Division, Disability Rights Section, Washington, D.C.
- Judge Judith Bartnoff, Superior Court of Washington, D.C.
- Glenn, Mills & Fisher, Durham, N.C.
Human Resources/Labor Management
- Management positions in industrial and labor relations, legal compliance, compensation/benefits, safety/health and organizational development. Prior employers included Mobil, Monsanto, Mitsubishi, Exide Electronics and Duke Medical Center.
ACCREDITATIONS & ASSOCIATIONS
- Licensed North Carolina Attorney
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Orange County Bar Association
- North Carolina Advocates for Justice
- Admitted to Practice Before the United States Federal District Court