Rich Daugherty is an employment law attorney with extensive experience serving clients across North Carolina. He has successfully litigated against Fortune 500 and other large corporations in both federal and state courts. He also negotiates severance agreements and executive exit agreements favorable to his clients.
Since 2003, Rich has represented individuals in a wide range of employment disputes including wrongful termination, sexual harassment, assault, discrimination, retaliation, and FMLA violations.
Rich earned a bachelor’s degree in economics from the University of Richmond and an MBA from Virginia Commonwealth University. He holds a JD and an MSW from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. During law school, he held clerkships in the Civil Rights Division of the U.S. Department of Justice and clerked for Judge Bartnoff on the Superior Court of Washington, D.C.
Prior to practicing law, Rich served in management roles in the field of industrial and labor relations for large corporations including Mobil, Monsanto, and Mitsubishi. This experience has given him a unique insight into how corporations work and how employees should be treated.
Rich considers it a privilege to represent conscientious, hard-working employees. He believes that no person or corporation is above the law, and he is committed to fighting for the rights of employees. At the heart of his success is the open communication he has with his clients.
Rich lives in Chapel Hill. He is married and has 3 grown daughters. He is actively involved in his community, serving in a variety of roles. In his spare time, he enjoys the outdoors, fly-fishing, and Carolina Lacrosse.
- JD, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Employment & Labor Law Moot Appellate Team
- Managing Editor of Finance Law Journal
- MSW, Management Development, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- MBA, Industrial & Labor Relations, Virginia Commonwealth University
- BSBA, Economics, University of Richmond, Cum Laude
Richard Daugherty, Attorney at Law
- Primarily engaged in the practice of employment law since 2003.
- U.S. Dept. of Justice, Civil Rights Division, Special Litigation Section, Washington, D.C.
- U.S. Dept. of Justice, Civil Rights Division, Disability Rights Section, Washington, D.C.
- Judge Judith Bartnoff, Superior Court of Washington, D.C.
- Glenn, Mills & Fisher, Durham, N.C.
Human Resources/Labor Management
- Management positions in industrial and labor relations, management development, legal compliance, compensation/benefits, and safety/health. Prior employers include Mobil, Monsanto, Mitsubishi, Exide Electronics and Duke Medical Center.
ACCREDITATIONS & ASSOCIATIONS
- Licensed North Carolina Attorney
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Orange County Bar Association
- North Carolina Advocates for Justice
- Admitted to Practice in State and Federal Courts