Many employees have the right to work free from discrimination because of sexual orientation and gender identity (SOGI). This applies to all aspects of employment such as compensation, promotions, work conditions, and terminations.
Examples of Discrimination
- Treating an employee unfavorably due to SOGI
- Allowing an employee’s SOGI to influence promotions, evaluations, or discipline
- Denying benefits to same sex spouses, while offering benefits to spouses of the opposite sex
- Harassing an employee due to SOGI
- Firing an employee due to gender transition
- Firing an employee because of SOGI
Many employers are also prohibited from harassing of employees due to sexual orientation and gender identity. Harassment is unwelcome treatment that is frequent or severe enough to alter work conditions and create a demeaning atmosphere.
Examples of Harassment
- Isolation, exclusion, or work interference
- Undermining authority or span of control
- Slurs or name-calling
- Sharing derogatory or inappropriate images
- Inappropriate jokes or gestures
- Other mistreatment
Many employers are further prohibited from penalizing employees for complaining about or opposing discrimination against themselves or others. For more information, see Retaliation page.
Protect your Rights
The law sets firm deadlines for reporting discrimination, harassment, and retaliation. For more information, see article on Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Discrimination.
If you’ve been subjected to discrimination, contact Rich Daugherty. Whether your employment has been wrongfully terminated, you’re in fear of losing your job unlawfully, or you’re stuck in an untenable situation, contact Rich.
Rich offers a one-on-one relationship with his clients. He will stand by your side every step of the way to resolve your case fairly.
Rich represents clients from across North Carolina, including Raleigh, Durham, Wilmington, Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Charlotte, and more. He is available to meet with prospective clients outside of Chapel Hill when circumstances permit. Evening appointments are also available.