Many employees have the right to work free from discrimination based on race and color. This applies to all aspects of employment such as compensation, promotions, work conditions, and terminations.
Examples of Discrimination Because of Race or Color
- Demotion or termination
- Lower pay than peers
- Less favorable work assignments or conditions
- Scrutinizing work more closely than other employees despite good performance
- Undermining managerial authority or span of control
- Exclusion from important work activities
- Disciplinary action or Performance Improvement Plans
Many employers are also prohibited from harassing employees due to race or color. Harassment is unwelcome treatment that is frequent or severe enough to alter work conditions and create a demeaning atmosphere.
Examples of Harassment
- Isolation, exclusion, or work interference
- Undermining authority or span of control
- Slurs or name-calling
- Sharing derogatory or inappropriate images
- Inappropriate jokes or gestures
- Other mistreatment
Many employers are further prohibited from penalizing employees for complaining about or opposing discrimination against themselves or others. For more information, see Retaliation page.
Protect your Rights
The law sets firm deadlines for reporting discrimination, harassment, and retaliation. For more information, see article on Race and Color Discrimination.
If you’ve been subjected to discrimination, contact Rich Daugherty. Whether your employment has been wrongfully terminated, you’re in fear of losing your job unlawfully, or you’re stuck in an untenable situation, contact Rich. He will stand by your side every step of the way to resolve your case fairly.
In addition to litigating cases, Rich negotiates confidential severance agreements and executive exit agreements favorable to his clients.
Rich offers a one-on-one relationship with his clients. When you contact his office, you will speak directly with him. You can arrange for a brief phone conference at no charge. Rich represents clients from across North Carolina. Evening appointments are also available.