Federal laws such as Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), and the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA) prohibit discrimination based on sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation or gender identity, race or color, national origin, religion, disability, and age.
Examples of Discrimination
- Exclusion from key meetings or work activities
- Interference with work
- Undermining of authority
- Isolation from key employees
- Disparagement or humiliation in front of fellow employees
- Reduction of direct reports and/or job responsibilities
- Elimination of budgetary authority
- Reduction or red-circling pay
- Demotion, disciplinary action or termination
- Threats of adverse action
- Failure to promote
- Failure to provide equitable pay
- Physical abuse
Under Title VII, the ADA and the ADEA, private sector employees must file a charge with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) within 180 calendar days of a discriminatory action. You will forfeit important legal rights if you do not file a timely charge with the EEOC. If you’ve already missed a deadline, call to discuss your options.
Laws Enforced by the EEOC
- Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964
- The Pregnancy Discrimination Act
- The Equal Pay Act of 1963
- The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990
- The Rehabilitation Act of 1973
- The Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967
- The Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act of 2008
If you’ve been subjected to discrimination, contact Rich Daugherty. Whether your employment has been wrongfully terminated, you’re in fear of losing your job unlawfully, or you’re stuck in an untenable situation, contact Rich.
Rich offers a one-on-one relationship with his clients. He will stand by your side every step of the way to resolve your case fairly.
Rich represents clients from across North Carolina, including Raleigh, Durham, Wilmington, Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Charlotte, and more. He is available to meet with prospective clients outside of Chapel Hill when circumstances permit. Evening appointments are also available.